Two major factors of heating up！
Six heat dissipation solutions！
Do LED lights get hot causes:
Do LED lights get hot? Because the power is not converted into light energy, part of the conversion is into heat energy. Indicator lights only 100lm/W, the electro-optical conversion efficiency of about 20% to 30%. That is, about 70% of the electricity is converted into heat.
In special, the LED connector temperature occurs due to two factors.
- The internal efficiency of both is not high. That is, when electrons and holes are combined, photons can not be 100% generated, usually due to “current leakage” and reducing the PN region carrier composite rate. Leakage current multiplied by voltage is the power of this part. In other words, it is converted to heat, but this part does not occupy the main components, because the efficiency of internal photons is already close to 90%.
- Internally generated photons can not be shot outside the chip, the main reason for the final part of the conversion to heat is that this is called external quantum efficiency of only about 30%, most of the conversion to heat.
As mentioned above, the light efficiency of incandescent lamps is very low, only about 15lm/W, but almost all of the electricity is converted to light energy and emitted. Most of the radiation is infrared, so the efficiency of light is very low but eliminates the problem of heat dissipation.
Top 6 heat dissipation solutions for LED lights.
LED heat dissipation mainly starts from LED chip heat dissipation and LED lamp heat dissipation before and after packaging. LED chip heat dissipation is mainly related to the substrate and circuit selection process because any LED can make a lamp, so the heat generated by the LED chip is eventually dispersed into the air through the lamp housing. If the heat is not well dissipated, the heat capacity of the LED chip will be small, so if some heat is accumulated, the connection temperature of the chip will rapidly increase, and if it works at high temperatures for a long time, the life will be rapidly shortened. But this heat must pass through multiple pathways before the chip can be directed to actually reach the outside air. In particular, the LED chip generates heat from the metal heat block, generating heat from the solder to the PCB on the aluminum substrate, which reaches the aluminum heat sink through a thermally conductive adhesive. Thus, LED lighting includes both heat dispersion and thermal dispersion. the way the LED housing is cooled depends on the size of the power supply and the location where it is used.
The following cooling methods are mainly available.
- Aluminum heat pins: The most common thermal method uses aluminum heat pins as part of the housing to increase the cooling area.
- Heat conducting plastic housing: Plastic housing is injected and molded filled with thermally conductive material to increase the thermal conductivity and heat dissipation capability of the plastic housing.
- Air hydrodynamics: Using barnacle shapes to create convection air is the cheapest method of heat dissipation.
- Fan heat dissipation: Inside the lamp, housing is a long-life high-efficiency fan, which can enhance cooling, low cost, and good effect. But changing the fan is troublesome and not suitable for outdoor use. This design is relatively rare.
- Heat exchanger: Heat exchanger technology is used to induce heat from the LED wafer to the hot pins of the housing. Large lighting such as street lights is a typical design.
- Surface Radiant Heat Treatment: The surface of the lamp housing is a radiant heat treatment, which applies a radiant heat dissipation coating that emits heat from the surface of the housing.
Radiant heat cooling coatings have high thermal conductivity and a large thermal surface area and have high emissivity over a considerable wavelength range (1-20m), which can significantly improve the overall performance including conduction, convection, and radiant heat.
The coating uses high-performance thermal solutions with special properties of visible and near-infrared reflectivity, thermal infrared emissivity, high stability, good physical properties, chemical properties, and good constructability compounding due to the coalescence of inorganic colloidal particles of less than 100 nm that produce bonding. The addition of carbon nanotubes and other materials with high thermal conductivity and radioactivity to the coating solution can constitute a coating surface macroscopic, microscopic, and rough form of nanomaterials, thus greatly increasing the contact area between the heat sink and the outside, and greatly improving the heat dissipation effect. By adding a variety of spinel by electron transfer as a composite infrared emitter, the impurity energy level is increased and the infrared radiation coefficient is improved, thus maintaining thermal stability and heat resistance.
LED overall luminous efficiency is low, so the joint temperature is high and the lifetime is shortened. In order to extend the life and reduce the joint temperature, attention must be paid to heat dissipation.
Impress R&D team is designing our full series of LED lights with radiant heat cooling coating to make better use of the latest technology nowadays without adding extra cost so that every agent wholesaler can use more long-lasting LED lights the soonest! Asking us for updated wholesale LED lighting price list!